I chose to use the word joy in the title, because I think it is a feeling rarely associated with Marketing. Especially for us introverted folk. However, I’m teaching myself to look at marketing as something fun, as a game. And when something isn’t working, I simply adapt, and try something different.
I’ve done quite a bit of research on how to market as an indie-author, and I’ve rounded up my favorite discoveries. So here are 5 indie-authors tips, recommendations, and thoughts on marketing for indie-publishing. In no particular order —
1. Joanna Penn on How to Love Book Marketing
“The best kind of marketing isn’t about teaching yourself to do something you hate. It’s about converting things you love to do into marketing. It’s more than liking what you’re selling. It’s liking how you’re selling.”
2. David Gaughran on “If You Don’t Enjoy Marketing, You’re Doing it Wrong.”
“…I don’t think you should wait to promote. Whether a book takes you two months or six months (or longer), isn’t it worth an hour or two of your time to put together some kind of promotion for the launch?”
3. Nina Amir on Indie Publisher: The New Publishing Entrepreneur
“There’s a lot more to self-publishing a book than writing the manuscript,” she says and details “the 8 publishing business necessities every indie author needs.”
4. James Moushon on Your Book Launch: Marketing Methods and Ideas Used by Outstanding Authors, studied 30 indie authors and has created a highly extensive resource on how to launch a book.
5. Jonathan Gunson on How to Get More Amazon Reviews
This is such a brilliant idea, I can’t believe I haven’t seen anyone else talk about it. “Over 90% of your readers will be perfectly happy to talk about your book. So let them do exactly that; let them talk about it while you record or take notes, and then transcribe it for them – as a review.”
6. JA Konrath on What Works: Promo for Ebooks
His post is a few years old, but definitely has some nuggets of wisdom…”no one becomes an expert at something without having invested 10,000 hours in it.”
And finally, my favorite quote by David Wright at IndieReCon: “Marketing done right is just finding more readers.”
If you have any tips on marketing, please share on Facebook.